The Dansko Gospel

Everyone I've talked to has said, "They're an investment." I haven't met a single person with a pair of Dansko shoes who doesn't love them. I'm sure there's somebody out there, but it isn't anyone I know. Other teachers, nurses, friends, even my school's principal have all said the same thing. All I did was mention that I was thinking about getting a better pair of teacher shoes. That little opening did it. I heard all about how I would buy a pair and never go back.
Lately my feet and lower legs have been just a little bit tired and achy. My shoe philosophy since I started teaching has been to buy shoes that are decent but not too pricey. I also have to admit a weakness for shoes that match a particular dress or look lovely, so I've suffered for fashion sometimes.

I started to google 'teacher shoes' and ask around. The result? Like I already said, everybody is crazy about Dansko. Not the best looking shoes in the world, but undeniably a fan favorite in the comfort and support department.

So I decided to get a pair. I went off to the mall on my birthday with my husband in tow and bought a pair. I pooled all the birthday money from my family and took the plunge. Even at the mall, people were still telling me how fantastic the shoes were. The sales girl, "Oh Honey, you need them. When I was waitin' tables, I got some. Them thangs have lasted five years." She pursed her lips and gave me a serious look. She didn't even try to 'sale' me on the shoes. Her attitude the whole time was more or less, you'd be crazy not to buy some.

Two women walked by while I was trying them on. Even they added words of encouragement. "You will not be sorry. I love mine!" It took me a while to find the right ones. If you're considering buying them, I wouldn't order them online until you try on the exact pair in the store because each style fits a little bit differently. After pacing up, down, and around the shoe department a hundred times, I finally settled on a dressier looking pair of black Mary Janes.

These things aren't cheap. When I finally made it to the register, I thought the sale's girl, named Joy, was going to ask for my right arm. I've also felt a little bit concerned about waking up in a ditch with bare feet one day.

When school started last week, I was still skeptical. The shoes don't really feel that soft or amazingly comfortable when you try them on. They just feel like a good pair of shoes. The insides really aren't that soft at all. However, after a solid week of wear, I'm converted.

On the first day my feet and legs weren't nearly as tired as usual. My feet even hurt a little bit when I took them off at home. Each day I felt better and better. Apparently, I've underestimated the effects of standing all day on a concrete floor. As you can see in the photo below, there's this sturdy cradle that supports your foot inside the shoe. Yesterday I wore a different pair to work, and I was sorry. I went to the grocery store after work. It was tragic.


 
The end result is that now I've become one of those people. Saturday at breakfast with my friends from church I said, "Y'all, let me tell you about these shoes." Plus, I can envision myself walking by a stranger in the mall trying on shoes. "You won't be sorry," I'll say.

Isn't that always how you find out about the best stuff? Someone you know clues you in.

C.S. Lewis said something powerful in one of his sermons, "The Weight of Glory".
There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, culture, arts, civilizations -- these are mortal, and their life is to ours the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit -- immortal horrors or everlasting splendors.
 
His words haunt me because I don't have any problem telling somebody about the glories of Dansko shoes or about the new shampoo I really love, but when I have the chance to talk to someone about the best thing that's ever happened to me -- my relationship with Jesus -- I hesitate.

James 5:20 says -- "Remember this: Anyone who brings a sinner back from the wrong way will save that sinner's soul from death and will cause many sins to be forgiven." (NCV) 

I can tell you the thing that gives me pause and, unfortunately, has prevented me from sharing my faith in the past. I have worried about what other people will think. I imagine friends thinking, "Gee, enough about Jesus already," or "Oh no, here we go again," or "She is such a Jesus freak!"
Please don't misunderstand. I don't think the answer is being obnoxious about my faith. I don't want that at all. I have no desire to be pushy in any shape or form, but I do have a desire to be open about the things I believe. I want to let other people know about what Jesus has done for me and what God continues to do for me every day. I want to have just as much confidence when I recommend a personal relationship with Christ as I am when I gush about my new Dansko shoes.





Image Credit: http://bridalshoes.biz/dansko-shoes/
http://www.lydiasuniforms.com/scrubs/products.asp?sku=206&cat=613&t=nursing_shoes_-_dansko_unisex_professional_in_colors

Comments

  1. My mom gave me her old pair when I started nursing school. I had tried on a few pairs (to find the right fit) and hers were just as good as any, so I went for the free hand-me-downs.I am one of the nonbelievers...not at all a fan. Now you know one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, so I do know someone who doesn't like 'em. At least you got a free pair to try out and didn't have to figure it out later, after you spent a ton of money on them.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Mercy House

You Better Recognize!