The Real Mr. Darcy

It's no secret that I'm crazy about Jane Austen. I've read all her novels -- more than once. I'm also a fan of all the various adaptations of her works. Some are better than others; the 1995 Pride and Prejudice is absolutely my all time favorite. Here's a little peek if you've never seen it.



I'm not the only Austenite. There are websites and fan clubs on every continent. Well, I'm not sure about Antarctica, but you get the idea. Her stories are popular for a variety of reasons. Jane is an excellent observer of humanity, so her characters are like people we meet in everyday life. She manages to be quite satirical and witty without being mean, but people mostly love the stories because no matter how realistic the story line is, the ending is always a happy one. Despite their misunderstandings, Darcy and Elizabeth work things out in the end. Edward finally comes to propose to Elinor, and Emma eventually gives up her matchmaking ways to realize she's been in love with Mr. Knightley all along.

Unfortunately, real life doesn't always end so happily. Hearts get broken more often than not. Romance ends up being this prickly thing that we can't help but long for, although it's sure to hurt us in the end.

A few years ago, I read John and Stasi Eldredge's book Captivating for the first time. The book answers the basic question, "What is the feminine heart all about?" The authors point out several things, and you should definitely read the book if you haven't. One idea stood out to me when I read it: Every woman wants to be romanced.

That longing is there in my woman's heart whether I want to admit it or not. That's why I, and so many other women, love Jane Austen's stories. We are all waiting around for our own Mr. Darcys.

When we are romantically pursued, it's great. There's nothing like it. The only problem is that, in this imperfect world, romance can't happen all the time. Sometimes lovers lie or fall short of our expectations.  There are kids to bathe and bills to pay. We often feel more invisible and disappointing than seen and delighted in.

So what happens then, when reality kicks in? We get bitter. We get sad. We get a divorce.

A few weeks ago, my ladies Bible class studied the story of the woman at the well. I've read the story before, but this time it had something new to say to me, something specifically for the feminine heart. In the past I've always thought about the story as chiefly about eternal life, and it is. However, I think it's about more than that.

Here's a summary of the story from John chapter four. Jesus and his disciples pass through Samaria. He stops to rest by a well and sends his disciples into town. So he's sitting there by himself at noon, and this woman comes to draw water. Jesus asks her for a drink, and they have this whole exchange that essentially boils down to -- she can't believe he'd ask her for a drink. He tells her, "If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, 'Give me a drink,' you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water."(vs.10) This is where I've always thought about the 'living water' as being a symbol for eternal life, and, as I said, it is.

But -- the rest of the conversation between Jesus and the woman is all about how she's had five husbands and is now shacking up with a guy she isn't married to at all. In the past I always took this part of the story as part of the whole "she's such a sinner" thing. Now I'm not so sure. This woman clearly trusted in five men to be her husband and to take care of her, and all of those guys failed to do that. She was disappointed in love over and over again.

Then one day Jesus makes the time to stop and talk to her. Reading it again, I believe he knew he'd see her that day by the well. He talked to her one-on-one and offered her a little bit of grace. The rest of the chapter tells how she left his presence rejoicing; she forgot her water pot behind. Why was she so excited? Because she'd been given eternal life? Sure. But also because a man had seen her as she truly was (warts and all) and loved her -- truly seen her.

Just like Pride and Prejudice, the story of the woman at the well touches my feminine heart. The love Jesus showed that day wasn't just for her; it's for me and you, too. Jesus sees us and chases after our hearts every day.

It will overwhelm you if you really think about it. When you were born, he was there. When you fell down and skinned your knees, he was there. When your heart breaks, he's there. In light of all this, I've come to a new place in my own heart. I do want to be romanced by my husband -- don't get me wrong, but I no longer need him to fill that essential need of my heart to be romanced because Jesus is my real Mr. Darcy.

"I Am" by Nicole Nordeman is about this very thing.




For the Jane Austen freaks -- Check out this delightful ten minute P&P. Love it!

Comments

  1. This was definitely my all-time favorite version of "Pride and Prejudice." I love your insight on the woman at the well. It's so good of Jesus to pursue us in His loving way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Mercy House

The Dansko Gospel

Confessions of a Sugar Addict