Christmas God Wink #1

About a week before Thanksgiving this year, I met Santa Claus.

I have been having a challenging fall semester and feeling generally defeated. My students went through a phase where they were heckling me while I tried to teach, and I hadn’t had a lot of support in dealing the problems in my classroom. That day I was dressed totally in black, reflecting my mood. The store was crowded. I was exhausted. It was dark and raining out, but I had to get groceries.

Finally, I made it to the checkout line. An elderly man came up behind me and started putting all his items on the conveyor belt. I glanced over and noticed that everything he was buying was holiday food: a turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing. He didn’t have a beard, but he smiled kindly. His hair was white. He leaned over toward me and handed me a coupon, “I think you need this.”

I shook my head because it was a store loyalty coupon, and I was pretty sure it had to be used with a certain loyalty card account number. “I don’t think it will work,” I replied, trying to hand it back to him.

“Just give it a try,” he said with a wink. He started to chat with me about the brand-saver bread he bought and how good it was. Before I knew it, my whole mood had changed.
Finally, my total came up on the cash register, so I handed over the four-dollar coupon he’d given me. The cashier beeped it. “It worked!” I cheered, the man was grinning, and even the cashier couldn’t help but smile.

“See?” He said. I started pushing my cart toward the exit and the rainy darkness outside, feeling a genuine warmth inside. “Young lady, take care of yourself, and one more thing,” he called, “Merry Christmas! I know it seems early, but the Christmas trees are already propped outside.”

A coupon and some good cheer buoyed me up for a good, solid week. Looking back, that's definitely the moment Christmas started for me this year.

Merry Christmas. Pass it on. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mercy House

The Dansko Gospel

Confessions of a Sugar Addict