Soli Deo Gloria


I end up focusing on a quote or motto every year. I don't plan it. It happens organically. Like many other people who work serving others, it takes a lot to keep me going. I don't do my job for money or fame, so my motivation has to come from somewhere else. It's the same for other teachers, nurses, customer service representatives, or anybody else that spends lots of time helping other people.

The first year I taught, it was Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me," for obvious reasons. Yep, that year was quite a challenge, but whatdaya know -- Christ did strengthen me, and I made it through.

A few years later, it ended up being a quote by this lady named Lorie Keene, "Whether we are biological mothers or not, each of us has been given a special gift as a woman that  can be used to love, cherish, encourage, and nurture the children God places in our circle of influence." I've already written about that year. Remember? I had to work on my students' manners.   

Another year, it became Gandhi's famous quote, "You have to be the change you want to see in the world."

Last year the quote was from a Psalm. I was feeling a bit unloved, so I used this verse a lot as a reminder and a prayer. "Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul." (143:8)

It always takes me a while to figure out what the quote is going to be because, like I said, I don't exactly choose the quote. The quote chooses me. Today I realized what this year's quote is going to be.
 
That's it: Soli Deo Gloria. On one of the podcasts I enjoy, The Bible Study Podcast, Toby Logsdon did a series on the five solae of the reformation called "Navigating the Christian Life." I wrote about one of them earlier in a post called Finding True North. Anyway, his podcast got me thinking about how important it is to do everything for God's glory.
Think about it for a minute. There are other things you can glorify: a band, a neighbor, a spouse, a parent, money, a job, yourself... The list goes on, right? So what is the problem with glorifying those things? Well, all of them will eventually let you down. Other people are imperfect, so they're bound to disappoint some time or other. Most people will retire from their jobs; you might even get fired. Parents pass away. People go bankrupt.

Glorifying yourself might be the most dangerous alternative to glorifying God. I say this because I know, first hand. Pride is something I struggle with. It's a dangerous sin because you can lie to yourself and others about it. There are lots of ways to hide it. Sometimes it looks all pretty and gift wrapped. I've told myself, "I'm doing this good deed for all the right reasons," when that isn't true at all. There have been times when I've done things so that other people will like me or think I'm a great person. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be liked; I've found it just can't be your goal. The truth then is that you're glorifying yourself. 

Not to mention the fact that it wears you out. When you're doing things for the wrong reasons, it's so much easier to get impatient. Even worse, when you're glorifying yourself, you don't really have other peoples' best interests at heart. You might do something good for others when it's convenient for you but forget about them when it really matters. I have one word for you -- politicians.  Isn't that what often happens? Candidates, of all political affiliations, talk a big game with selfish motives. Then when the chips are down, they can't come through for their constituents.


It's different when you're glorifying God though. You have access to an unlimited supply of inspiration and motivation. It no longer matters if you're liked or if you get some sort of compensation for the good things you do.

Suddenly it becomes easier to be forgiving, to be patient, to love your neighbor, or love your enemy because it's all for God's glory. If I'm walking around thinking, Soli Deo Gloria, it's okay if my students complain. Soli Deo Gloria means that no effort made is wasted because God sees it all, and He can use it all to further the greater good. He changes the world every day anyway, but if we're committed to glorifying Him, He lets us help. A child's dad lets him help fold the towels in the dryer, not because he needs to, but because he wants to. Allowing his son to help brings them both joy. The towels are going to get folded if the dad does it alone, but he allows his son to help. The result? Their relationship becomes stronger. God is that dad to all of us. He wants to let us help.

Image Credits: touchyaneighbor.com,solideogloria-4him.blogspot.com, iamreformed.com

Comments

  1. In 2013 I will seek to live only for His glory. The world is dissapointing but if we first live for His glory other things miraculously fall in place.

    All glory to God

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Mercy House

The Dansko Gospel

Confessions of a Sugar Addict