My dad has the gift of gab; he can talk to just about anyone, yet he has never been comfortable talking about his feelings. That's just not how he expresses himself. He's a doer, a provider. He will talk to you all about the stock market, politics, his work, or his latest hunting trip. I too love to talk. However, I feel most satisfied when I talk thoughts, ideas, and emotions. I feel the most closely connected to my loved ones in deep conversations about the issues of the heart. Dad just wants to go fishing with you on the Buttahatchee. As I was growing up, this difference between us became painful for me. Dad and I often misunderstood each other and found it hard to connect. What does a practical father do with a dreaming daughter? We got along okay, but there were times I didn't feel loved. I definitely felt misunderstood. Happily, things are different now. We understand each other and there is more love and acceptance between us than I ever thought possible. Ho...
Comments
Post a Comment