Church Ladies

One Christmas when I was in high school the adult ladies Bible class at my church, The Hamilton Church of Christ, decided to host a special dinner for the teen girls in our congregation. Each of us was paired up with a lady from the class as our 'buddy' for the evening. My buddy was Ms. Fayrene. When she came to pick me up, I gave her the Christmas pot holder set I'd picked out for her a few days before. She acted like I'd just given her a check for a million dollars, and right away she started talking about how much she loved the Christmas season, exclaiming that the gift was perfect.


I'd always known her in a general way, but until I sat down in the front seat of her car, we'd never really talked one on one. She was wonderful. She asked me about my life and listened intently to what I had to say. The twenty minute ride to nearby Winfield was over in the blink of an eye. At The Boar's Butt (yes, it had a drive through), we stepped into a fabulously decorated room set aside just for our party. A Christmas tree glowed softly in one corner, the tables were set beautifully in red and green, and there were hand painted, magnolia leaf ornaments on the tables.

The other teen girls and I sat down to a delicious meal. We ate and talked. Everything about that evening was great. Looking back now, I realize how excited those women were to invite us and how much work they did to make it happen. I felt special, and that night is one Christmas memory I'll always hold in my heart.

Even more importantly, those women weren't just there for one special occasion. From the time I was born until the present moment, I've always had the blessing and luxury of their love, confidence, and support. It's all I know -- I can't imagine a life without it. I have a box in my closet filled with cards from them. The same ladies who welcomed me into the world with baby shower presents for my mom gave me gifts at my wedding shower to help me start my married life. I owe them so much because I now see that there were times they made sure I had a winter coat, the money for a mission trip, or food to eat when my mom was sick.

Those women walked with God, and by doing so, taught me how to live. When they read Titus chapter two, they took it seriously.
In the same way, teach older women to be holy in their behavior, not speaking against others or enslaved to too much wine, but teaching what is good.  Then they can teach the young women to love their husbands, to love their children,  to be wise and pure, to be good workers at home, to be kind, and to yield to their husbands. Then no one will be able to criticize the teaching God gave us. (3-5 NCV)
 
As I've matured, one of my goals has been to become like them. To take the gifts of their gentle presence and nurturing efforts and pay them forward into the lives of young people I know. That's part of the reason I became a teacher.

If you'd asked me two days ago about my progress in reaching that goal, my response would have been, "Uh, I'm trying, but I don't think I'm succeeding." Then yesterday happened.

I sponsor a small Bible study group at my school. It is all student lead, following our school's guidelines for religious activities at school, but I allow them to meet in my room and monitor them while they're meeting. Although I can't really lead them spiritually in any sort of official way, I have still developed strong relationships with them. After all, they come to my classroom every week, and they're the best. If I am ever blessed with the opportunity to be a mom, I hope my son or daughter will be half as wonderful as these kids are. Every week as I sit and listen to them talk about Jesus, they give me hope for the future.

Yesterday they decided to talk about times when God has helped them through a tough situation. All of them took turns sharing their personal struggles and the things that helped them through. As I listened, I was moved by their frankness -- I even got a little teary eyed. They talked about the great support they got from each other or about answered prayers that were right on time. Some of them talked about little things I had done, really without thinking about doing them, and they told how encouraged they were by them. I was humbled. Now they were the ones encouraging me, even though they didn't know it.

My spirit felt refreshed, and my heart filled with gratitude for those kids and for those ladies from The Hamilton Church of Christ for teaching me how be what those students need. Without realizing it, I'd subconsciously learned all those years ago that loving people isn't a sprint; it's a marathon. My church ladies modeled the kind of living guided by the Holy Spirit that pours itself out for others in small ways every day. That's the stuff that changes the world, and no one rarely even notices.

So, I'd like to say thanks to all those women from the Hamilton Church for everything. You gave me the kinds of things that really matter, and now I am committed to doing the same for the young people in my life too.

image credit: worldofchristmas.net
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mercy House

The Dansko Gospel

Confessions of a Sugar Addict