I think I'll eat some worms.

My dad has the gift of gab; he can talk to just about anyone, yet he has never been comfortable talking about his feelings. That's just not how he expresses himself. He's a doer, a provider. He will talk to you all about the stock market, politics, his work, or his latest hunting trip. I too love to talk. However, I feel most satisfied when I talk thoughts, ideas, and emotions. I feel the most closely connected to my loved ones in deep conversations about the issues of the heart. Dad just wants to go fishing with you on the Buttahatchee.

As I was growing up, this difference between us became painful for me. Dad and I often misunderstood each other and found it hard to connect. What does a practical father do with a dreaming daughter?

We got along okay, but there were times I didn't feel loved.  I definitely felt misunderstood.

Happily, things are different now. We understand each other and there is more love and acceptance between us than I ever thought possible.

How did things change? Our family has gone through some trials in the last few years (that sentence feels like an understatement). My dad himself says that we should treasure the fact that we've held on to each other and come out stronger on the other side of the fire. (I am continually amazed how God can bring beautiful things out of our broken lives.)

I can see now that my father has always loved me quite deeply. He didn't know how to say it, so he demonstrated it. He worked three jobs to feed us. He never left us, even when other men would have. He travels hundreds of miles to see me. He committed himself to doing whatever it was he thought was best for his children, always.

If only I'd realized it sooner.

This morning I was reading the book of 1 John, and 4:10 spoke right to my heart. Here it is --

"This is what real love is: It is not our love for God; it is God's love for us. He sent his Son to die in our place to take away our sins." (NCV)

It's that simple. God loves us. No question, even if we don't feel like He does right this minute. He still does. 

How do I know that God loves me in particular? Well, he gave me my dad.

As I sat at the end of my table reading my Bible this morning, I realized I was doing exactly what I'd seen my father do literally thousands of times. I even had a cup of coffee! God sent me an earthly father who showed me how to be like my heavenly one. My dad understands that love isn't just something you talk about; it's something you do.

So if you are feeling sad or unloved, read the book of 1 John. It's quite short. I promise. It will tell you all you need to know about love, not just God's love but the secret to loving each other too.

Remember, just because you don't feel loved doesn't mean you aren't.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mercy House

The Dansko Gospel

Confessions of a Sugar Addict