The Fountain of Youth

My aunt says that walking every day is the fountain of youth, but I'm not sure I agree with her. Don't get me wrong. I tend to be an "excellent walker" as Jane Austen would say, but I think there is something else much more powerful than a daily constitutional--

the company of children.

When I was in high school, I often took care of a little girl. We spent a lot of time together, and I must admit I tended to spoil her. She captained our shopping cart at the grocery store. I usually bought her whatever she threw in the basket on our "expeditions."

I was obsessive about my grades and studied more than I really needed to, especially in my anatomy class. I'd be sitting there trying to re-read a chapter about the nervous system when my little charge would march in, shut the book, and declare, "We're going outside!" So that's what we did. We played with puppies and kittens, we fished in puddles for tadpoles, and created works of art with watercolors. Know what? I never missed that lost study time -- not one bit. My grades didn't even suffer, and I had much more fun. Her innocence and curiosity made everything fresh for me. We watched old Disney movies I'd seen millions of times but watching them with her was like seeing it for the first time all over again. She laughed at the corny jokes and got scared by the villains.

Of course now she isn't a little girl any more. She's a beautiful young woman, a delight to all who know her. We don't see each other very often; we live on opposite sides of the globe these days. But I haven't forgotten the lessons I learned from her years ago. Just by being herself she taught me to enjoy simple things and helped me realize that people are always worth your time, especially children.

Today was our students' first day of school. It did my heart so much good to see all of them. Have you ever had a young person joyfully call out your name when he catches sight of you? I hope so. There is nothing like it. My cup ran over today because I had that very thing happen -- more than once. I missed my students over the summer. I got to hear all about what they did and where they went over their vacations. It was a pleasure just to see them and to know they weathered the summer all right.

Not only did I get to see students I've taught before but I also got to meet my new students, so many new names and faces. I'm always concerned about learning their names as quickly as I can so that they know they matter to me. Managing that isn't easy. Have you ever tried to learn seventy-five new names in one day?

At the end of last week our staff watched a video just after our county's convocation. I'll apologize to my teacher friends now because I know this video has already made the rounds, and I'm sure some of them are tired of it.  If you haven't seen it, you should watch it.

 It made me cry, it inspired me, and it made me think. Do we believe in our children? Do we really think they are worth investing in? If we say they are important, do we act like it? Sometimes I don't act like they are important, though I definitely believe they are. It is so easy to get overwhelmed by all the clamoring voices needing my attention. At those times I allow myself to lose focus, and sometimes my students get over looked.

When that happens, I force myself to slow down and think about my students as human beings, as individuals. I ask myself, what does God see when he looks at this child? Here's the answer --
People were also bringing babies to Jesus for him to place his hands on them. When the disciples saw this, they rebuked them.  But Jesus called the children to him and said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.  Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” (Luke 18:15-17 NIV)
 
 This past weekend the church I attend had a "Back to School Bash" for the kids in our community. I wasn't able to be there, but on Sunday morning I heard all about it. There was a bouncy castle, cotton candy, and popcorn. It seemed like the kids had fun, but the adults had even more. The ladies in my Bible class kept talking about it and laughing. A man who sits in the pew near me said, "The best part is watching the little ones have so much fun."

When you make time for a child, you bless them, but you are infinitely more blessed in return. My Christian brothers and sisters experienced that truth first hand. I see it every day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mercy House

The Dansko Gospel

Confessions of a Sugar Addict