Taught by a Tornado Warning

We had some pretty nasty storms here today. The windows got really dark when one of my students was sitting with me after school making up some work she missed. Rain started pouring down and thunder clapped. The power blinked. Our eyes met and we shrugged. We were thinking, just a thunderstorm.

She went back to her test, and I to the papers I was grading. A few minutes later, my friend walked in wearing a worried look. "I think we're under a tornado warning," she said. A few minutes later our assistant principal made an announcement advising us to find a safe place to stash ourselves. I decided to quickly call my husband to let him know I'd probably be late getting home. In the middle of the call the power flashed again, and my student looked at me with wide eyes. I knew what she was thinking, so I told her, "I'm going to stay with you until your ride gets here. I won't leave you; I would never do that."

We went with some other teachers and students to the teacher's lounge, the safest place on our end of the hall. I got back in touch with my husband and found out that there had been a tornado sighted just a few miles away but that it had broken up. The warning was about to be canceled.

We only had to stay in the lounge for a few more minutes, and my student's sister showed up shortly to take her home. I was there on the sidewalk to make sure she got to the car and into her sister's care safely.

How did I know what my student was thinking? I've thought the same thing hundreds of times before when I've been faced with a tough situation. When I feel sad and alone, "Lord, are you really there?" When I have to make a tough decision, "Lord, are you really going to help me know what to do?" When I'm facing something that seems so much bigger than I can handle, "Lord, are you really going to help me with this?" When I've done something wrong, "Lord, are you really going to forgive me this time?"

My student found herself wondering if I was going to come through for her. Was I going to take care of her, or was I going to abandon her? She doesn't really know me yet; the school year just started. She had to trust that I would do what I said I would do.

We have to do the same with God. There's no other way to get to know him, to learn to trust him. Paul says in his letter to the Romans:
Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (8:37-39 NKJV)
 
I realized today that if I, a hopelessly flawed human being, am willing and able to come through for my student, then God in his infinite power, wisdom, and love can and will come through for us in every situation.

I hope I remember the lesson I learned today next time I face a 'tornado warning' in my life. Hopefully when I ask God one of those anxiety laden questions, I'll be able to answer them for myself. I will remember to have a little faith.

Image credit: http://cccomaha.org/message-media.php?id=105

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mercy House

The Dansko Gospel

Confessions of a Sugar Addict