Teaching Season

The first one I can remember is Ms. Anna. When we moved up to her Bible class, it was a big deal because we'd also be going to school that same year. Every week she brought us Starburst candies and used her felt-backed visual aids to teach us Bible stories. In case you didn't know, Jesus is always the one in white with a royal blue sash. She loved the pink Starbursts best, so we'd all pretend to fight over them but give them back in the end, so she could eat them. She loved us, and it showed.

At public school that year I lucked out again. Ms. Brown. I remember her as extremely patient and kind, but she also paddled me (just a little) for talking during nap time. It didn't hurt; I was mostly sad that she was disappointed in me. She was there to teach me to tie my shoe when my mom was too busy with a new baby. Later on in college, when I was working in a local restaurant, she slipped a wad of bills into my hand. "I remember how hard it is. Use this to help pay for your education," she said.

In middle school it was Ms. Childers. She spoke with the most gentle voice of any teacher I know. On report card day she walked beside me after class. "I noticed you almost made the A honor roll," she mentioned. I nodded. "Why did you make a B in P.E.?" she asked.  I explained to her that I hated P.E., especially middle school P.E. I still shudder when I think about it. I told her I was uncoordinated and not very athletic. When we were finished talking, I felt a whole lot better about that B. It seemed like a victory instead of a defeat.

Three women changed my life.

Today I listened to this great Bible study podcast by Toby Logsdon. He talked about part of the book of Romans, the last chapter when Paul talks about the real people he knew who helped him out. Toby pointed out that all those people were a part of what Paul was doing, that God had brought them into Paul's life to help him along in different ways.

I started thinking about it, and it seems to me that for every season of my life, God has given me excellent teachers. Not just the three ladies mentioned above, but lots of other people too. Not all of them were "teachers" either; lots of them have been friends or people in my church family.

Just today I was talking to the instructional coach at our school. She definitely has been God-sent in the latest season of my life. I wouldn't be a teacher at all if it weren't for her.

You've probably seen the movie Pay It Forward, but how long has it been since you've watched it? Pay it forward. We use that phrase now in every day speech, and most everybody knows what it means. Here's the essential scene:



Now that school is back in session for the year, I'm tired. I mean tired. I'm already tired, and the year has just started. Part of that tiredness is physical-- my feet hurt, and I want to go to sleep right now. Mostly though it's mental and emotional. I have to keep track of lots of things all the time, and my students need my attention. Students need me from the moment I walk on campus until the moment I drive away. I'd love to say that I'm always full of energy and ready to give them what they need, but that's not exactly true. Sometimes I struggle.

So to keep myself going, I need reminding. I need to remember why I'm a teacher in the first place; I'm paying it forward. I'm hoping that I can be to a young person what so many others have been to me. I want to inspire them, make them think, and make sure that no student of mine walks around thinking no one cares about him or that no one knows her name.

This doesn't just apply to me. If you think about it, the same is true for you, even if you aren't an official 'teacher.' You have something to offer someone else no matter who you are or what your life is like. It's as simple as an uplifting word, listening to a fearful worry, or performing  a random act of kindness.

But as for you, brethren, do not grow weary in doing good. (2 Thess. 3:13)

Pay it forward.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mercy House

The Dansko Gospel

Confessions of a Sugar Addict