You Better Recognize!

I nearly made that "Redneck-ognize," but I thought that might be one Honey Boo Boo reference too many. I hear my students say this phrase sometimes, usually when they are upset with someone else or at least pretending to be.

Funny word, recognize. I've been thinking about it a lot lately.

Have you ever embarrassed yourself when you think you see someone you know? You know me. I've totally done it:

One day I was walking across the campus at UNA, and I seriously thought I saw my friend Angie coming toward me. She was in a completely different town going to a completely different school at the time, so it made no sense for her to be at my university, but the more I looked, the more convinced I was that it was her. The girl I saw walked like her, had hair like her, and even dressed like her. It was probably some sort of psychological illusion because I really love my friend. She's like a walking party, and I was probably having a bad day or something -- wishful thinking.

It wasn't her, a fact I realized only after waving wildly at a total stranger.

These days I'm usually dealing with the reverse. People recognize me. I can't go anywhere without seeing former students of mine, students I don't know that attend my school, family members of students, or local people that have seen me in some situation or another. It drives my husband crazy. He's the ultimate introvert and becomes downright incredulous when we go somewhere.

At the mall, "Mrs. Carter!!" yelled by teens riding down the escalator.

In the grocery store a student's younger sibling grins at me and says, "Go wildcats!"

Waiting in line at the movies, "Oh my gosh! I saw you in the talent show. You did such a good job. Hey honey, this is that lady I was telling you about; she's hilarious!"

These days I wave good-naturedly when I hear my name yelled from afar, even if I have no idea who the person is. Teaching for nearly a decade in a small town will do that for you.

If you've been reading this blog in the last month or so, it won't surprise you to hear that I've also been thinking about recognizing Jesus.

I wonder sometimes if I would. Would I recognize Jesus if I encountered him in some everyday, 21st century situation?  How would I know him if I saw him?

Well, he'd be homeless (Matt. 8:20). He'd smell bad; as far as I can tell there was no deodorant in the first century. He wouldn't be good looking (Isa.53:2). I figure he'd, at best, look like an average person, someone you'd meet on the street.

Here's what he said about it:
“Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink?   When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You?  Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’   And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’(Matt. 25:37-40)


So if any old person in need could be Jesus, how would I respond if I did encounter him? I'd like to say that I would be right there ready to offer whatever he needed.

Unfortunately that isn't always true because sometimes I get annoyed when sweaty teenage boys stand too close to my desk right after gym class.

Sometimes when I'm in Raleigh the homeless guy sitting beside me in McDonald's makes me uncomfortable when he's just drinking some coffee so he can sit inside out of the cold.

Sometimes I forget that I've got a closet full of clothes when others have none.

Sometimes I complain about not having what I want for dinner when others don't have dinner at all.

I'm not trying to be depressing here. Lots of people are having tough times right now. I get that. I'm there, but I also know that tough times should be the very thing that draws us together. Maybe we need to get to the point that we don't have as many things, so we can realize that we have what's more important: God, each other, and the inner strength to endure.

Recently I've made a commitment to be more aware. C.S. Lewis said that humility isn't thinking less or yourself, but it's thinking of yourself less. That's what I'm striving for. I'm sure I won't be perfect, but I know I can do better, even in small ways.

So I wonder if I'd recognize Jesus if I saw him today. Even more importantly, I wonder if he would recognize me.

I'm not the only one asking these kinds of questions:


Comments

  1. Wow Ringing Like A Bell I see we do see many of the same things. This is a great admonition. God is showing me much of the same things. And it seems like the young people like Jeff Bethke are speaking with the boldness of the Lion of the Tribe of Juda, thank God they are. Thanks again for sharing and for commenting on my blog as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Mercy House

The Dansko Gospel

Confessions of a Sugar Addict